Note: This restaurant is already closed.
I have gushed about my love for desserts a gazillion times on this blog. And as a coffee addict, I always pair my dessert with hot coffee. It was only last week that I got to experience cake and wine pairing, with Diamond Hotel's desserts and Sommelier Selection's Wine Flights.
We first had some of the savory dishes by The Cake Club (more about this in a separate post), then we were served their much-loved desserts and wines that best pair with it. Sommelier Wine Flights features quality French and Italian wines that is also available at The Cake Club.
Here are the wines we had and their suggested pairings:
Clos Des Verdots Moelleux
- Supple and fruity, the wine is bright red in color. More fruits are experienced on the nose and mouth, with smooth and silky tannins. Lengthy finish.
- Best paired with Danielle (or Guia, Baked Cheesecake and even Diamond Ensaymada)
- Dry red wine noted for its juicy fruit character, low level of acidity and mild tannins. Its aromas are reminiscence of lavander and violets with a hint of almond.
- Best paired with Le Royale (or Guia and Le Reve)
- Semi-dry, dark red with aromas with cherries, raspberries, blueberries and other forest fruits adding to a hint of liquer on the nose. Very pleasant on the palate, fruity and delicate but well-focused with a moderately long finish. It is an aperitif wine that is best before or during dessert.
- Best paired with Baked Cheesecake
- Garnet red color. Generous aromas of black currant, plum and hints of licorice. Round and silky in the mouth with a fresh and fruity finish.
- Best paired with Vanessa, or any cake from The Cake Club
Vouvray: Vin Sec
- Gold in color, has aromas of lavender, grapes, honey and marzipan. This is translated in the palate, with a slightly sweet finish.
- Best paired with Ispahan, or any cake from The Cake Club.
- Very easy to drink, this wine refreshes the palate.
- Best paired with Supermoist Chocolate Cake (or Le Royale and Le Reve).
Other wines we had that evening are Colombelle White (best paired with Cecilia, Ispahan or L'Obsession) and Bourgogne: Aligote (best paired with Le Royale, Vanessa, Ispahan or Guia).
Sommelier Selection Wine Flights are available until August 31 only, so experience award-winning dessert paired with good wine while it lasts.
Thanks to Diamond Hotel Philippines for having us and to Spanky Enriquez for organizing this event.
The Cake Club
Upper Ground Floor
Bonifacio High Street Central,
7th Avenue corner 29th Street,
Bonifacio Global City