Creating your own unique and yummy ice cream options is one thing you may do at an online cooking school. Sprinkles and chocolate sauce may be considered more traditional ice cream toppings, but if you're looking for something more interesting try one (or more) of our unique and yummy ice cream toppings.
Sauces are a great way to add flavor to your ice cream. Strawberry and raspberry sauces are more traditional, fruit sauces but there are some different, contemporary fruit sauces to try. Most of the sauces are simply made by reducing a mixture of sugar and fruit. Try adding flavored liquors or juice for a different twist. Other classics like hot fudge sauce can be given a unique twist. Some sauces to try include –
- Orange Ginger Sauce – This sauce is sweet, but also has a touch of spice. It complements vanilla and sweet cream ice cream.
- Tart Cherry Sauce – The slight sour taste of these cherries give an interesting twist to otherwise plain ice cream. Try it over vanilla or spoon it on chocolate for a Black Forest cake flavor.
- Dark Chocolate Fudge Sauce – Fudge sauce is given a new twist by adding dark chocolate. This creates a richer sauce that tastes great over vanilla, strawberry or mint ice cream.
- Butterscotch Sauce – This sweet sauce complements vanilla ice cream and also pairs well with nuts.
- Balsamic Vinegar – This sounds like a strange ice cream topping, but gives a tart flavor rather than a strong vinegar flavor. Use a good quality balsamic vinegar and try it over a fruit ice cream, like strawberry.
- Warmed Peanut Butter – Chocolate and peanut butter are best buds, so adding peanut butter to chocolate ice cream makes sense. Warming the peanut butter allows it to be poured like a sauce.
- Maple Syrup – Maple syrup has a unique flavor that shouldn't be kept away from ice cream. Try it over a plain ice cream to really taste the maple syrup.
Sprinkling toppings onto your ice cream adds both flavor and texture. Traditional toppings, like sprinkles, can get a little boring so why not branch out and try one – or more – of these unique ice cream toppers:
- Crushed Mints – Crush mints in a plastic bag to add crunch and a refreshing flavor to your ice cream. This is a good choice in chocolate and mint ice cream.
- Crushed Cookies – Break up your favorite store bought cookies to add crunch and a unique flavor to any ice cream. The more gourmet the cookie, the more unique your ice cream will be.
- Flowers – Edible candied flowers look great and add color to your dessert. This is a great touch for a party.
- Buttered Popcorn – Adding a handful of buttered popcorn to vanilla ice cream gives you a nice sweet and salty combination while making vanilla ice cream more interesting.
- Citrus Zest – Adding lemon, orange or lime zest to your ice cream gives ice cream a nice, fruity flavor. Be careful not to add too much zest – a little goes a long way.
- Espresso Powder – Top chocolate or vanilla ice cream with espresso powder to give it a coffee kick. You can also pour brewed espresso over your ice cream.
If you're interested in learning more about food and the effect it has on your body, look into earning a nutrition degree online.
“Better Homes and Gardens” (2012)